Re: TI83 Emulator for TI86

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI83 Emulator for TI86

On Tue, 2 Jun 1998 23:54:29 -0400, Ray Kremer <raykremer@HOTMAIL.COM>
wrote:

>Because many people have forgotten that the primary purpose of calculators
>is to do math, not to play games.  The games are just a bonus to kill time
>during math class IF you don't need to pay attention to get an A.
>You want to play games, real games?  Buy a Game Boy.  You want to write
>games for the internet community to enjoy?  Write it in C for dos or Windows.
>
>Okay, I'm being extreme here, I play and write those calc games as much as
>anybody else, but I still have the big picture in mind.  Sure, you might
>want to hang onto that ten year old NES so you can still play the original
>Metroid or Zelda, but do we really need to obsess over the TI-82 games you
>can't play because you have an 86 instead?  It doesn't actually hurt anything
>if you do obsess, but they are just calculator games, after all.
>(This oughta stir up some comments/flames.  Just don't go too far.
>I'm not always as serious as I sound.  Take it with a grain of salt.)
>
>>If you don't mind my asking, why is sooo much emulating needed?

        Why not?  This kind of cynicism is what I find so revolting
about the technology community these days.  People, in general, seem
to be so repulsed by anything that doesn't have an immediate,
practical application, or would be more easily accomplished through
other means.
        If the only reason anybody wrote software for the TI
calculators was the end product (the games), there would not be a
single program available for any of them.  Does it occur to you that
some people do this sort of thing just because it can be done?  It is
a challenge.  The  fact that they were designed to do math  doesn't
mean that there is no  point in trying to extend their capabilities.
        The computer itself was invented just to make calculations.
Why not think about that the next time you use log onto the internet
to spread your ignorance.  Why not just send a letter?  Or a fax?  Or
talk to a real person?  Computers are just for scientists, right?
        It is the natural human drive, to try to improve the situation
and solve problems.  I happen to think a TI-83 emulator for my 86
would be very neat.  Not practical, not at all beneficial to whoever
made it, but neat.  It would require someone to basically write their
own version of the TI-83 ROM, since that's copyrighted by TI, and
facilities for translating  display calls.  Heck, if I was that good
at programming, I'd do it.  It is a challenge.  And if the result is
that we peons can play 83 games...cool.
        I bet you'd use it.
        -Andy

Follow-Ups: References: