Re: TI-92, HELP! Significative numbers!!!

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-92, HELP! Significative numbers!!!

>>The 92 does not know how to do significant figures, no.  I suppose you could
>>program it, but I am not sure how that would be done.
>
>Sure it does.
>
>If you want a calculation to two sig. figs. set mode to FIX 2.

Well duh, but you still have to decide how many decimal places that is.
The deciding part is what "doing significant figures" means, the rounding
part anybody could do in their sleep.  I.e., you can't tell the TI-92
12.0786 + 4.5 + 143.45   and have it know to round to one decimal place, or
83.45 * 93.0 / 12  and have it know to round off all but two digits.
Besides, you are wrong anyway.  17000 can be two sig figs as much as
12.54 is, sig figs doesn't always mean the number of decimal places.

>However, if you just have to add a bunch of numbers, with no set sig. fig.
>to aim for, then I don't know. :)

Exactly right.