From:   Jack the Klipper [SMTP:toru@ONLINE.NO]
Sent:   11 January 1998 22:52
To:     CALC-TI@LISTS.PPP.TI.COM
Subject:        Re: Chess on the TI 83?

Nathaniel Gibson wrote:

> >> Back in the early 80's when computers weren't too
> >> sophisticated - I can remember playing a chess game against a computer
that
> >> only had 16k of ram - so I know it can be done for the 83. Come on -
> >> Somebody out there must have tried this?
>
> >I think there is some confusion on the RAM on the Ti's. While it says
> >you have 27k ram free to the user(on the TI83, total is 32K of RAM),
> >this is aviable space. If such a chess program require 16k of RAM you
> >would have 27K-16K=11K of RAM left to the program file.
> >Ram on your Pc and on your TI83 is not the same. The Ti83 Ram is kinda
> >like a hard-drive and Ram. Still a good programmer should be able to
> >create a chess program :)
>
> The original author is correct... In fact, you can buy many different
chess
> computers today who's internal program is only 32K (including the
workspace
> for figuring out the moves). The main difference between the computers
and
> a program for a calculator would be SPEED (the computers are DEDICATED to
> playing chess, the calcs are not). Even if the program is written in
> assembly, it would be almost impossible to write a program that could
look
> farther ahead than about 3-4 plys (half-moves) without having to wait a
> very long time. The only possible exception may be on the TI-92, where,
due
> to the faster chip, you may be able to look ahead 5-6 plys in 3-5
minutes.

> Nathaniel Gibson
> ngibson@postoffice.ptd.net

 I didn't deny the possibility for a chess game. I only said the difference
from a
coputer ram and a calc ram was that the calc both stores progs and
RandomAccessMemory' the Ti-ram.
And of course you can make a chess prog at 27K.
Do we really need the calc to do 6 moves with all the pieces??
If you want a real challenge chess you should go for computer chess.
There are 16 pieces which may be moved, and for every piece wich moves,
there
is 6
different moves for ALL the other 16 pieces. If it thinks 6 moves ahead (3
for
each side) that would be 16^6 moves
= 16777216 moves. That is all the possibilities in the next six moves. My
math
might be wrong, it's sunday..but you get the point, 6 moves ahead is a lot.
BTW: are there any programmers who would make this game??
--
JTK