Re: Chess on the TI 83?

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Chess on the TI 83?

>> Back in the early 80's when computers weren't too
>> sophisticated - I can remember playing a chess game against a computer that
>> only had 16k of ram - so I know it can be done for the 83. Come on -
>> Somebody out there must have tried this?

>I think there is some confusion on the RAM on the Ti's. While it says
>you have 27k ram free to the user(on the TI83, total is 32K of RAM),
>this is aviable space. If such a chess program require 16k of RAM you
>would have 27K-16K=11K of RAM left to the program file.
>Ram on your Pc and on your TI83 is not the same. The Ti83 Ram is kinda
>like a hard-drive and Ram. Still a good programmer should be able to
>create a chess program :)

The original author is correct... In fact, you can buy many different chess
computers today who's internal program is only 32K (including the workspace
for figuring out the moves). The main difference between the computers and
a program for a calculator would be SPEED (the computers are DEDICATED to
playing chess, the calcs are not). Even if the program is written in
assembly, it would be almost impossible to write a program that could look
farther ahead than about 3-4 plys (half-moves) without having to wait a
very long time. The only possible exception may be on the TI-92, where, due
to the faster chip, you may be able to look ahead 5-6 plys in 3-5 minutes.

Nathaniel Gibson
ngibson@postoffice.ptd.net