Re: 83 vs. 85/86

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: 83 vs. 85/86

Jeff Tyrrill wrote:

> Unless you want the advanced statistics or sequence graphing on the TI-83,
> the TI-85 is still much better. Some advantages are larger screen,
> variables can be named so there's no limit to the number of variables,
> multiple number bases, much better matrix and vector math, better calculus,
> simultaneous equation and polynomial solver, unit conversions, more
> standard programming and math functions (such as mod), a custom menu,
> equation variables (so you don't have to write a program for every formula
> you have), physical constants, and differential equation graphing.
>
> There is no question that the TI-85 is overall a better calculator. That's
> why the TI-83 is numbered lower, even though it's newer!
> ________________
>
> Jeff Tyrrill
> >
> Well.....Okay. Maybe the 86 is better than the 83. I guess. But I
> really do think the 83 is better than the 85. Just my opinion. BTW,
> why doesn't the 85/86 have split screen? I know that I have used it a
> lot on my 83.
>
> Jody Snider
> jody1@alaska.net

hehe no kidding, the 83 was released in mid '96, the 85 was first
released in '91, but the rom versions have been constantly upgraded, I
think the latest is 10.0. Yeah I found out about split screen
graph/table today, but it isn't difficult to switch between both, table
push one button, graph, push another. I've been doing good on my 86, and
has more uses than for math alone. Well true the 83 is numbered lower,
it's an improvement for the 82, and the 86 is an improvement for the 85.
I have yet to wonder whether an 84 is even being considered. =^

IMHO, I still prefer the menu interface on the 85/86 rather than the
82/83, Function + arrow, or arrow + enter? I hold my calc almost like a
gameboy most of the time.

Oh, one thing, to the 83/86 users, flip your calculator UPSIDE down, so
that your left thumb is on the arrow keys, your index fingers *could* be
on those little grips on the side, and your right hand on the 2ND/Alpha
keys, how does that feel? Interesting idea for playing games, no? :)
*exception to those with larger thumbs* If you have Galaxian or ZKart on
your 86, try playing them from the "upside down" perspective.

-(:P Modem Boy d:)-
-(:P -=TI-86=- d:)-

Follow-Ups: References: