Re: Mem expanders

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Mem expanders

>>I have heard a lot about these mem expanders, though they always seem to
>>be out of "production" because someone is making a better version or
>>there isn't drivers available to my calc (I have a 83), and I've heard
>>that what they really do is add "portable memory" and not more user
>>memory. Like taking a floppy disc along.
>
>Thats it exactly

Its archival memory since it will wear down after a while.

>>Is this true?? And where can I get the plans on building the most recent
>>one??

There isn't a latest schematic.  The thing works, and I'm going to see if I
can't finish it for bryan.  I've made the protype and hacked it enough to
run on a TI92...so I could probably release the EII in a day if I focused
on it.

>Dont know
>
>>Can't you make a program (asm) that tricks the ROM/calc into beliving
>>that the mem expander is internal mem??

No.  The linkport is for transfering.  Also, if it were possible, these
things would stand in the way:  Since it is flash it would wear down, it
would also be painfully slow.

>Highly improbable
>
> And is there a link port on the
>>expander so you can have x-tra mem and still hook up to another calc/pc
>>or maybe sharing the expander.
>
>It's like a floppy so...It doesnt need to be hooked all the time

It only works when the asm driver is loaded.

>>If I suggested something that is nearly impossible, have in mind that i
>>know almost nothing about electronics ;-)
>>(Though I made a link cable extender, but it didn't work quite well on
>>larger transfers. And it was only about 20cm.

You must have done something wrong...I use a 100ft spool of wire for my
link cable.  (shielded) I've gotten 10 feet on unshielded cable...