Re: Standard Deviation Question....

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Standard Deviation Question....

In article <19980217211305.21620.qmail@hotmail.com> Mike Herald
<oasis9@HOTMAIL.COM> writes:
>Can someone explain to me why TI-92 gives me the wrong answer for
>standard deviation.
>
>I put in:
>stdDev({4,7,10,11,12,14,15,21,32})
>
>and I get 8.30662
>
>but the answer is 7.83
>Try to keep in mind I kinda new at using a TI-92.  So, why do I get 8.31
>instead of 7.83

Just a guess, but there are two different kinds of standard deviations --
one for the population and one for a sample.  As I recall, the 85 and 86
have both of these, but they're labelled differently and I still manage
to forget which is which.  :)  But, I'm guessing that the 92 is giving
you one of them automatically and you're looking for the other one.  Sorry
I don't have my calc with me at the computer to check and see if the two
types of std.dev. give the two answers you've quoted, but maybe you can
find out somehow.

--
      .      .        .       .         -- James Marshall     (ORI)  *   ,
 ,.  -- )-- ,   , . -- )-- ,            marshall@astro.umd.edu