Re: ZIP files

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: ZIP files

dobey wrote:

> just exactly HOW is it like saying pc's can't read .html files?
> Maybe you should put some actual knowledge into your next reply.
> if it is a mac program, then it is going to be in .hqx compressed form
>
> 97% of the time. And to help you game some knowledge:
>
> .hqx compression was made specifically for the MAC.
> .zip compression was ORIGINALLY made for the PC.
> .html files were made for platform independence, which is why they are
>
> used
>       for use on the world wide web.
>
> oh.. btw... Windows can be run on the Mac, as well as variations of
> UNIX.
> as you can see, i am not using DOS/Windows on the PC that i am
> running...

Not only can the Mac run Windows (and DOS, but not Win95) but the PC can
run Mac software.  There is an inexpensive emulator for the PC called
Executor.  Both Macs and PCs can read .hqx, .sit, .zip, and .lzh
compressed files.  By far, the PC has many more compressed formats than
the Mac, because nothing is really standardized on PCs, like it is on
the Macs (ie: OS, etc.).  I am a Win95 user and use WinZip, which
handles most compressed file formats.  On the Mac, I believe StuffIt
Expander is the most featured.

-Jeremy

Follow-Ups: References: