Re: ROM dump legal?

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: ROM dump legal?

Jack the Klipper wrote:

> Grant Stockly wrote:
>
> > >providing I design my own routines and leave TI's ROM alone or would TI
> > >think I was copying their ROM when in reality I wouldn't be?  What other
> > >problems could arise (programming or legal)?
> >
> > If you can proove that you rewrote it, and they take you to court, they
> > don't have a chance...
>
> Hey, I've read somewhere how IBM's BIOS was leagally "copied". One team took
> it apart and wrote VERY detailed instructions on how to do it. They could do
> that legally as long as they didn't use the instuctions. Then ANOTHER team
> made a BIOS from the instructions, only noone from the first team where
> allowed to help.Point is, if you can "create" it by yourself, its yours and
> not TI's. However it might be hard to convince anyone that you made it up by
> yourself, you need proof.
> To bad that the world is only money, 'couse its things like this which are
> "killing" very good programmers. I think such a program would be very useful.
>
> Anyone know a good lawyer??
>
> Jack TK

Jack, I read about that! Thats where "Compaq" came from. "virgins,"
people who knew nothing about the way the IBM bios was set up, built the
exact IBM BIOS chip from plans people made studying it. :) how nifty

True... but Linux (and i think unix) were written by hackers, to create
an OS not for money, but for quality, that's whats lacking.

Like in Tomorrow Never Dies, that media dude says:

Is the software loaded with bugs?
Yes sir, we've incorporated numerous bugs, forcing users to upgrade ever
few years...
Excellent!

(Hey Bill, do you have a clue what they're talking about? :)

-(:P Modem Boy d:)-
-(:P -=TI-86=- d:)-

MMM... I like my spam on two slices of white bread.

signtel1@juno.com, replies98@hotmail.com, removeshare@yahoo.com,
mpollard@aol.com