TI86 equation solving

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

TI86 equation solving

JLC <nsx3000@BIGFOOT.COM> writes:

> How do I solve a quadratic equation in TI86? (ex. X^2+X-2=0)

Use the quadratic formula -- 99% of the time this will be the most satisfactory
method.  And it's a good idea to enter it directly, too, to watch what is
happening.  Something like this:

1 -> a : 1 -> b : -2 -> c

b*b-4a*c -> D

(-b + sqrt(D)) / (2a) -> x1
(-b - sqrt(D)) / (2a) -> x2  (recall the Entry to save re-typing)

Change to fractions, if you like.

Check:

x1^2 + x1 - 2

Do you get 0?  Also check the other root (Entry again).

This should work just fine even for complex roots.  Keep your eye on D
as you work to see how the nature of this number afffects the nature of
the roots.  For example, if D is positive and a perfect square you would
predict the roots to be rational and the polynomial to be factorable
(if you had some reason to want it in factored form, you _could_ work it out).

There are, of course, other more general ways to solve equations
on the TI-86 (the solver, or graphing), but you would normally
save these high-power methods for tougher equations.

RWW Taylor
National Technical Institute for the Deaf
Rochester Institute of Technology
Rochester NY 14623