Re: TI 92 Errors

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI 92 Errors

In article <6b33rs$lnn@bgtnsc03.worldnet.att.net> "Matt Cooke"
<R.U.COOKE@worldnet.att.net> writes:
>My TI85 does the same thing.  I don't know why.
>
>John_Archer@nowhere.com wrote in message
><34d50ca9.8456814@nntp.ix.netcom.com>...
>>I entered -28 raised to the 2d power and got -784.  Now anybody knows
>>that a negative number multiplied by a negative number is a positive
>>number.  On my wife's TI business calculator the same operation came
>>out correct.  If I entered -28 x -28 the answer came out correct
>>(784).

Although I don't have the manual in front of me to verify this, I suspect
it has to do with operator precedence.  I believe that the power operator
has a higher precedence than the negation sign.  So, if you just enter
-28^2, then what you're getting is the same as -(28^2) and thus negative.
If you want to do powers of negative numbers, assuming I am correct here,
then you need to put the negative numbers inside parentheses in order to
get the right answer.  Do (-28)^2 and you ought to get the right answer
because the parentheses now force the number 28 to be negative and then
you square it, so the answer now should be positive.

--
      .      .        .       .         -- James Marshall     (CAS)   .   .
 ,.  -- )-- ,   , . -- )-- ,            marshall@astro.umd.edu   .,  .