Re: What is the Need for Plushell

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

On Wed, 19 Aug 1998 17:15:08 EDT, JNoonan123@AOL.COM wrote:

>Why would the Ti-92 +  need a shell when it has 2 already built in ...1.the
>obvious assembly 2. the direct commands to the processor..  I would think that

The 92+ only has one assemblylanguage since it only has one processor,
but that's not what you meant, right?

>these would be faster than any other shell for the calc. because they are
>built into the hardware.  Why not just make additions to this shell/OS.  You
>dont need to rebuild the same thing over. It just doesnt make sense to me why
>you would make a shell over a shell instead of adding things just to the first
>shell.    Am i confused about the preinstalled assembly programs that the 92+
>has or is plushell somehow faster than the harware supported ones????
>Please respond

The answer is partly in the name: Plus-*Shell*. Like every other shell
on any of the calcs it offers a convenient way of launching assembly
(and sometimes basic) programs directly. These programs may or may not
be directly supported by the TI-OS itself, which, incidentially, is
also software. The hardware (read: the CPU) can't run anything *but*
assembly software.

Some (most) of the shells offer features that TI never intended to
include, like relocation, libraries, ROM jumps instead of ROM call
macros and useful everyday-routines for basic tasks.

Niklas Brunlid - http://www.efd.lth.se/~e96nbr
PQF Quote follows:

"Ah. Philosophy," said Om.
        -- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)