Assembly Possible on the TI-81 (???)

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Assembly Possible on the TI-81 (???)

Alright.  I'm going to give my standard disclaimer: I'm just a user, not a
programmer.  And I'm no hardware/software guru either.  But, I had an idea
for getting assembly support to the TI-81.

Someone a while back posted on ticalc.org that the TI-81 was in fact wired
for a link port.  So, install a 2.5mm jack there.

OK yeah that sounds stupid.  "No link port software."  That's the thing.

In the news lately have been reports of a buffer/stack overrun problem with
popular email clients.  Well, why couldn't the stack be overrun on a TI-81?
Maybe if the memory were filled up and a certain instruction executed?

Anyhow, overflow the stack with an instruction to begin dumping all input on
the linkport to the RAM.  I don't know you'd do anything to the VAT with
this.  But again, this is just an idea.

Use that dumped stuff to call the ROM and build from the ground up a shell
that accepts file transfers.  It may never do assembly games, but perhaps
TI-81's will finally have links...

--Matt Cooper / mnemonicdevice@hotmail.com