Re: TI 85 vs TI 86

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI 85 vs TI 86

In article <6h19t5$934@nntp02.primenet.com> "James" <dolphin49@geocities.com>
writes:
>What are some of the problems?
>
>Blue wrote in message <3533c79f.2138627@news.megsinet.net>...
>>I've just started tech math 1 in College.  I'm not familiar with
>>graphing calculators much.  My professor told me to go get a TI-85.
>>When I went to the store, they didn't have any, but cut me a deal on a
>>TI-86 which said on the package it was an enhanced 85.  Now I'm

Basically, it is.  The 86 has more memory, more plotting options, some
more stat functions or something.  It is basically an enhanced 85.

>>finding some compatibility problems.  The things the professor says to
>>do, doesn't work on my calculator.  So far I've been able to figure it
>>out, or get help from someone who knows.  My thirty days isn't up on
>>this calculator.  I'm wondering if I should take it back, and get a
>>85?

Odd.  I had an 85 for years before it stopped working on me and I upgraded
to the 86.  I had no problems making the switch.  Sure, there were a few
slight differences (doing one var stats, I think, was a tad different),
but there were no major problems or differences that I can remember.
Unless the prof just happens to be using a lot of those functions and
stuff that are slightly different on the two calcs, I don't know why you
should be having problems.  I'd try to stay with the 86 if you can,
because it does have more stuff than the 85.

--
      .      .        .       .         -- James Marshall     (CAS)   .   .
 ,.  -- )-- ,   , . -- )-- ,            marshall@astro.umd.edu   .,  .