Re: Calculus problem

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Calculus problem

I do not believe that this can be integrated in the sense that
the integral would not be a finite combination of arithmetic
operators, polynomials, trigonometric functions, etc.  (That is,
the usual suspects found on the keyboard of a typical scientific
calculator.)  Therefore, you can either approximate it using the
appropriate range on the TI-92, if that is satisfactory.  Or you
can find a tome on higher transcendental functions.

Such as
Abramowitz, Milton, and Stegun, Irene A. 1964 _Handbook of Mathematical
Functions_ (You may need a forklift.  I believe it's available in paperback
now and has been updated since 1964.  You remember 1964, the New York World's
Fair, the brand new Ford Mustang, LBJ, Fortran, Gemini, slide rule, ...)

I don't have a proof that this cannot be integrated, but it has the same
"flavor" as e^(x^2), which cannot be integrated as well.  If it cannot be
integrated except as a higher transcendental function, no computer program
will return the result except as a higher transcendental function, no matter
how powerful the program.

-----