Re: A TI-83 ? re MATRIX output (examples included)

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A TI-83 ? re MATRIX output (examples included)

here's what I did on 92:

[    1    -1    1    4      ]
[    5    2    -3    2      ]
[    4    3    -4    -2    ]    -->m

then I hit my fancy rref(m) and multiplied by (-)seven 'cause I don't
like fractions :-)

[-7    0    1    -10    ]
[0     -7    8     18    ]     ingnore last row,  make it parametric,
let z = t

now:     t   =  7x                     -  10
            t =  (7y                     +  18) / 8          {too hard
to type it out all steps, hope I did it right}

now you can graph, or at least I can on my 92 ;-)

you can also say:

7x-10   =  (7y                     +  18) / 8                  and solve
for y to put in "y=mx+b" form
************aka "eliminate the paramater"*********
note, when you have two or more parameters, or 3+ variables, it doesn't
make much sense to elimate parameter, but that's a whole 'nother can o'
worms beyond me.

maybe post your problem to ti-graph?   lots of phd's over there, very
helpful.

BTW, usualy the "|" symbol means to take the determinant of matrix.

what class is this for?

hope that helps some,

Jesse1s@hotmail.com
you need to change the "c" to an "s" in my return address to foil spam

Curious Angel wrote:

> Hi:
>
> The problem I'm having is knowing how to read a matrix when the
> variables
> have not been isolated because the output is "Dependent" or "No
> Solution".
>  I can quickly ascertain from the calculator if each variable has only
> one
> value that makes all linear equations true for that problem -- what if
> that's
> NOT the case, and you can't tell from the output what's what?  Here's
> an
> example of what I mean:
>
> Take these 3 linear equations:
> x  -  y  +  z  =  4
> 5x + 2y - 3z =  2
> 4x + 3y - 4z = -2
>
> The matrix is a 3 X 4 matrix, set up as follows:
>         | 1  -1  1  4 |
>         | 5  2  -3  2 |
>         | 4  3  -4 -2 |
> it then produces:
>         | 1  0  -1/7    10/7 |
>         | 0  1  -8/7  -18/7 |
>         | 0  0     0        0   |
> The answer to this particular set of equations is that they are
> "Dependent"
> (there is an infinite number of solutions for the x, y and z
> variables).  But
> you can't instantly tell from the output that it IS Dependent, because
> along
> comes something like this, which has . . . "No Solution":
>
> x           +  z  =  0
> x  +   y + 2z =  3
>          y  +  z  =  2
>
> We're missing a y and an x.  Substituting zeroes for their
> placeholders, the
> matrix is again a 3 X 4 matrix, set up as follows:
>         | 1  0  1  0 |
>         | 1  1  2  3 |
>         | 0  1  1  2 |
> and produces:
>         | 1  0  1  0 |
>         | 0  1  1  0 |
>         | 0  0  0  1 |
>
> Thinking I've mastered how the TI-83 puts out, I write "Dependent" as
> my
> answer to this problem and promptly get it WRONG.
>
> Does the TI-83 require me to manually substitute in to solve?  You
> must be
> kidding!  How can I tell what I've got?

think this is special case, often if you have a square matrix you can do
augment and do gauss to find inverse, or use other techniques (many++),
I think once you have parameters you need to do it "manually".  ??