Re: What chip!

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: What chip!

On Wed, 10 Sep 1997 21:23:09 +0200 Per Hjeltman <leahjn96@STUDENT.UMU.SE>
writes:
>>You guys are just going wild now.  Sure, everyone wants to put a 200
>mhz
>>chip in the calc, but do you want to pay $200 for an 82 level calc
>when
>>they do so?
>
>Why not? Imagine something as powerful as Mathematica in a
>calculator...

I figured the whole idea was to increase speed.  Yeah, that would be
cool, but I thought that was what the 92 was for.  I think a 386 chip
would be more than powerful enough, at a much lower cost.  Hell, Pentium
chips alone are what, about $150 at the least?  After putting in the
other stuff to support it, and factoring in the cost, plus cost of
software to make the chip worthwhile, you might as well get a 486 laptop,
get a decent screen, plus have a real game machine to boot.  I would love
to see such chip based calcs, but I really don't think it would be a
feasible idea.  This is the reason I am going to install Derive or
Mathmatica on my laptop, rather than wait for this ultra-powerful calc.
The only thing I am waiting on now is good info on which one I should
get.  I don't want to make the same mistake I made with my 82, i.e., go
by minimal charts, decide that the 82 is more than I need, then realize
that I should have gotten the 85, but now I don't have the money.

Eric Klos <aurora-guy@juno.com>  Reside in Harrison Twp.  MI
Ho slots, prefer Aurora
MAGIC:TG Looking for places to play in Harrison Twp.
WANTED:R/C ClodBuster or Bullhead any condition