Re: Fwd: TI-82 programmer at your service.

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

At 05:50 PM 8/31/97 -0400, you wrote:
>><< ASH uses
>> something like 15K! >>
>>Oh the poor, misguided soul!!
>>Ash uses 999 bytes, plus 34 bytes in two matrices
>>Total: 1,033 bytes, just over ONE kilobyte
>

>Looking at my 82 right now, with ash 2.0 loaded, the ash program takes up
>935 bytes, L1-9224 bytes, L2-17bytes.  Total-9.94K.  So it is not 15K,
>maybe when he was trying to support his argument, he looked at the wrong
>number, but it still more than one kilobyte.  How do you guys figure that
>it is only 1K?

Matrix 5 (or L1 as you like to call it) has a misreported size because it
is actually a pointer to a keyboard routine.  So in reality it only takes
about 15 bytes of memory.  What happens with ASH (or any other shell), is a
value (Matrix 6 or L2) is stored into a memory location (Matrix 5).  The
next key that you press makes a jump to the memory address that was in the
value that you stored.  If a shell is located at that address, you can then
run ASM programs.

Hope I answered your question.

                 Thomas J. Hruska -- thruska@tir.com
                    http://shinelight.home.ml.org