Re: Shells on the 85

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Shells on the 85

tragic wrote:

> Can any one tell me the pros and cons for each 85 operating shell?
> Also do you know which are more in use and thus have more programs?
> TIA,
>      p.s. I had to get off of this list just recently because my mail
> was overflowing, so could you please e-mail me your response.

A Little list:

ZShell 4.0

+ the first shell for the 85, most assembler programs are for ZShell
- no special features, medium sized

All the ones below also run ZShell files

CShell-NT

+ Very small shell
- almost no special features

OS-85

+ The only OS that uses the 85's energy saving mode (idle drain with
ZShell: ca. 17mA, with OS-85: ca. 4mA on a non-turbo TI-85)
- still a bit large, although v3.1 is a lot smaller than 3.0

Usgard

+ many new features, very comfortable GUI, some special Usgard programs
- large

There are some more OSes which I have not tested thoroughly:
PhatOS with a feature to hide programs
OS-7, very simple but does not work with all ZShell programs

--

Christian Schmadalla (st000328@hrz1.hrz.th-darmstadt.de)
http://www.th-darmstadt.de/~st000328/index.html (Deutsch)