Re: Program Request

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Program Request

n X t wrote:

> On Fri, 17 Oct 1997 15:07:12 -0700 (PDT) Sumit <sumit-1@rocketmail.com>
> writes:
> >But TI-83 solver cannot solve linear equations.  I am talking about
> >the linear equations.
>
> use the stat function.. and list.. and solve it using LinR..
>
> and Linear you mean  Y=mX+b  right?? if it is.. just do it by hand..

I'm sorry I'm a bit late for this discussion, but:
Are you kidding? What did you buy your calc for? Still doing math by
hand?
For solving multiple linear equations you should proceed like this:

If your problem looks like  a11*x + a12*y + a13*z = b1
                            a21*x + a22*y + a23*z = b2
                            a31*x + a32*y + a33*z = b3

                                 (a11 a12 a13)    (b1)
then you enter two matrices: a = (a21 a22 a23)  b=(b2)
                                 (a31 a32 a33)    (b3)
                       (x)
the result vector is r=(y) (don't type it in!)
                       (z)

Now, following linear algebra: since a * r = b (that's the original
question), you have also r = inverse(a) * b.
What you do is simply invert the matrix a - try something like a^-1, and
then multiply it by the b vector. I know the TI-81 can do this, and
every better one I've seen up to now.
If the calc complains about inverting the a matrix, then your equation
system doesn't have an unique solution but rather a whole infinity of
them - bad luck.

In short form:     a^(-1)*b->r

For bigger equation systems this works the same way.

                Greetings,      -R.

Follow-Ups: References: