Re: TI-86 Calculator capabilities

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-86 Calculator capabilities

On Sat, 18 Oct 1997, Joseph Gaffney wrote:

> At 12:53 PM 10/18/97 -0400, Mike Gagne wrote:
> >Hello,
> >

> >Q1.
> >When I graph 2 linear functions, each
> >having a slope that is the negative
> >reciprocal of the other, I end up with
> >2 lines that ARE NOT perpendicular to each
> >other...I tried adjusting the scale of the
> >x and y coordinates in the WINDOW screen
> >without success( wouldn't a 1 to 1 scale
> >between x & y work?). What's up???
>
> Just do the -x, not -1/x

**************************
y1=x
y2=-x
********************************
I did the above...and the resulting graphs aren't at right angles to each
other..!

Using the slope/intercept form of a linear equation:

1.    y = mx + b
2.    y = (-1/m)x + b

...the graph of equation-1 should be perpendicular to
the graph of equation-2 !!! My calculator's graphed lines aren't at right
angles to each other !!!

---Again, I say what's up !!!

-Thanks
--Mike Gagne