Re: Proposed open operating system/gui/shell (CalcOS-82,83,85,86)

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Proposed open operating system/gui/shell (CalcOS-82,83,85,86)

On Mon, 13 Oct 1997, Riley McArdle wrote:
) I am proposing a new operating system.  Unlike anything any other TI
) calculator has seen (other than the 92).  I have attached my notes so far.
) Nothing is started yet so don't ask for a download site.  I have been
) looking at the state of ti calculators for a while and I have been thinking.
) It is so hard for someone to get started programming.  Once they do get
) programming, there are so many operating systems (at least two for each
) calculator) and twice as many gui/shell/apis.  Most of them are also closed
) source code.  What I am proposing is an open operating system with
) reasonable portability and SMALL size.  The way I think that we can make it
) small is with compression.  If we had a small kernel and a compression
) library, we could load and unload programs from RAM (or even a memory
) expander like the ones for the TI-85) and dynamically decompress them.
/usr/src/zlib-1.0.4/README:
zlib 1.0.4 is a general purpose data compression library.  All the code
is reentrant (thread safe).  The data format used by the zlib library
is described by RFCs (Request for Comments) 1950 to 1952 in the files
ftp://ds.internic.net/rfc/rfc1950.txt (zlib format), rfc1951.txt (deflate
format) and rfc1952.txt (gzip format). These documents are also available in
other formats from
ftp://ftp.uu.net/graphics/png/documents/zlib/zdoc-index.html
root@narnia:~# ls -l /usr/local/lib/libz.so.1.0.4
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root        49952 Sep  5 18:58 /usr/local/lib/libz.so.1.0.4
root@narnia:~#

I'm, uhm, pretty sure the TI-85 only has 32k of RAM, while the stripped,
maximally optimized zlib library that I have on my computer is 48.78k
alone...

)                                                                          I
) also think that the operating system needs to have dynamic linked libraries
) so that common code can be shared (which would also help with size).  I am
) starting with the TI-82 (because that is what I have) and TASM (not the one
) from Borland).  I don't know a whole lot about assembly (especially Z80) but
) I definitely know a lot about programming and operating systems.

--
Daniel Reed <n@narnia.n.ml.org>
System administrator of narnia.n.ml.org (narnia.mhv.net [199.0.0.118])

Follow-Ups: References: