Re: Got me some Graph-Link problems

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

On  6 Oct, Joseph Gaffney wrote:
> At 01:39 PM 10/6/97 -0400, Andrew Wendt wrote:
>>"Pentium systems" can run at a variety of external clock rates.
>
> The number I gave was a general one.
>
>>If the external frequency is one of the major differences distinguishing a
>>Pentium from a '486, why can you get a 486dx50 and a Pentium 100 or 75, both
>>running at the same external frequency of 50MHz?
>
> I said one of, not the only, and I also did not say that some weren't
> similar.  And, the most important thing, it was just an idea =P.
>
> Upon asking Mel, it would seem it's not because of bus speed (most likely),
> it's due to parallel port problems. Newer computers have differently
> configured parallel ports.

I highly doubt that the bus speed has little to do with the link not
working.  Most, if not all, link programs have a 'wait' routine to slow
down the speed anyways.

I do know for a fact parallel ports can be very different, even in the
same computer.  For instance to use my parallel link in my P-100 I have
to use a 'video card' parallel port (one of those ISA cards that where
a mono video card and parallel port) because the parallel port built
into my ASUS P/I-P55TP4 will not work.  Although, I can go to my dad's
computer and use the parallel port built into his ASUS VX-97 and the
transfer works fine.

Any comments??

--
-= Anthony DeStefano =-