Re: Factoring with TI 92

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Factoring with TI 92

gpjl wrote:

> Hello.  On the TI-92, is it possible to factor equations in two
> variables?  For example, will the TI-92 factor :
>
> x^2 + xy + y^2        as       (x +y) (x +y)?
>
> or   x^2y^2 + 7xy + 12      as     (xy + 3) (xy +4)?
>
> If you know how this can be done, please email me.  I will be very
> interested in your reply.

The TI-92 will factor incredibly complex expressions (not equations),
ones which an unaided human would probably not be able to figure
out.  But it will not factor  x^2 + x*y + y^2 , as you wish.  To see why,
try entering  expand((x+y)^2) .

In fact, x^2 + x*y + y^2  is algebraically prime (over the real numbers).
You might think from this that  x^4 + x^2*y^2 + y^4  should also be prime.
But it's not!  Try feeding this to your TI-92.

NOTE: Just enter factor( whatever ) to ask the TI92 for a factorization.

          RWW Taylor
          National Technical Institute for the Deaf
          Rochester Institute of Technology
          Rochester NY 14623