Re: TI Web page update: TI-92 PLUS (US)

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI Web page update: TI-92 PLUS (US)

>On Sat, 8 Nov 1997 09:14:09 -0500, Richard Bowman
><richard@BOWMANSOFT.COM> wrote:
>
>>The user data archive is Flash memory, not RAM... It gives you 384K of Flash
>>to store stuff in. Note, however, Flash memory loses storage areas as it is
>>used. After 1,000+ writes, Flash might lose a few bytes of space hear and
>>there as data cells become unusable. You can read unlimited times from
>>Flash, though. That is why they call it an archive. You should just have
>>some programs you always need in there, not things that change a lot because
>>it will where out the Flash. Also, the good thing about this 384K of Flash
>>is that even when your calc locks up and clears your RAM, all your stuff in
>>Flash will still be there!!
>
>It doesn't have to be "real" flash memory since we have a
>battery-backup... maybe it's just not cleared during the
>initialization phase (i.e. when you reset the calc).

Not the memory inside the calc, but the memory in the Plus.  Flash and
EEPROM only lasts about 1,000,000 writes.  So it would be pointless to have
EEPROM be memory because of these things:

1.  The speed of the link port isn't fast enough for the memory to be updated.
2.  After 2 months the memory would be dead and you might only be able to
use half.
3.  The memory is for archival of programs that you don't plan to update on
a regular basis.
4.  And if you want the memory, there is already an expander that does
that, but you could replace the memory chip for about $10.47.

>>I also have a question. Does anyone know if the 92Plus runs Fargo?? The FAQ
>>on TI's site says the Plus module directly supports assembly language...
>>does that mean everything will have to re-assembled to work with it?? It
>>mentions ASM at: http://www.ti.com/calc/docs/faq/92pfaq004.htm
>
>Probably. And, with the big ROM in the TI-92 an on-calc text based
>assembler wouldn't be at all hard to do - sources and such could be
>placed in the "flash" mem!

Sure the calc will run asm.  The Plus just adds the capibility to run its
own flavor of ASM, which wouldn't likely be like the 83 or 86 since the
processors are different.