Is the TI-92 worth the cost?

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Is the TI-92 worth the cost?

In a few weeks I have to recommend a calculator to be used in
Algebra-Trigonometry courses for next year at our college. (A
small university setting.) Currently we require the TI-85. We
have had good experiences using the TI-85 for the past four years.
No other calculator is required in any other class. Students
in other classes often buy the TI-85 and use it their other classes.

The TI-86 seems a natural choice but the TI-92, with its symbolic
calculations is so compelling. I have had a TI-92 for about two years
and I am convinced these kinds of calculators are the calculators of the
future. The problem is the cost. Tuition and the cost of books being
what they are how can we justify the expense of the TI-92. The TI-85
and TI-86's cost nearly a hundred dollars, an extra seventy five for the TI-92
seems just too much or is it?

How valuable or important is it that we do symbolic calculations accurately
and quickly any way? Is it worth the extra cost? I am very curious. What do
you teachers think?
What do you students think? Are there any parents out there? What do you think?

Thank You

Gary Wardall