Re: Accelerating the 85

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Accelerating the 85

> Please do your research before you post :-P.

I resent that statement. The point of this mailing list is to learn from
other calc users. That's wat I was doing.

It turns out that I have read every word on Mel's page, sometimes more than
once. Either that section was just added or I fell asleap while I was reading
(both equally posible).

> The info is from Mel Tsai's SF page, and since he wrote the driver
> software, well...
>
> Anyway, the reason is that the memory, is, well, memory, and memory is
> supposed to be fast. Eventhough that link port is quite fast, it's not that
> fast. Nor can the TI-85 grab the info quite that fast. The driver slows the
> connection down appropriately, which in turn also causes a wrong alignment
> between the linkport and the proc. again, the driver comes in. This
> particular procedure goes screwy unless the TI085 is at factory speed.

Where did you get that? I don't see that on his page. I see this, though:

> For now, turboed calculators must be slowed down to regular speed. You see,
the link port on
> the TI-85 is a "funny" thing. A lot of extraneous capacitance can build up
at the link port, and
> long connection wires to the Expander SF will also add to this capacitance.
What this means is
> that, even on regular speed calculators, link transmissions must be slowed
down, otherwise
> errors will result. So, turboed calculators will be way too fast to use the
regular Expander SF
> software.
>
> There are two ways around this problem. You can either slow down your
calculator back to
> regular speed, or I will develop a new version of the software, one made
especially for turboed
> calculators. This new version would contain different send and receive
routines, ones that are
> slowed down even more than normal, so that transmissions will go through.
Now, there definitely
> won't be a huge need for such software at first, because the vast majority
of people don't have
> turboed calculators. So, for now I don't have plans to modify the software
for use on turboed
> calculators. I have too many more important things to worry about, so
perhaps later.

In other words, my theory was right, but with one problem. Had the expander's
port worked like the one on the calc (whic is what I incorrectly assumed),
the link would have worked fine. The problem is that the expander's port is
even slower than a normal calclator, let alone an accelerated one. Mel had
his driver "talk" slower so that it would work with the expander. The thing
is, an accelerated calculator will make the driver "talk" even faster than
the normal link speed, even with the delay.