Re: Advice on linking the 85

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Advice on linking the 85

At 08:02 PM 5/30/97 -0400, Scott wrote:
>i just got that TI-Graph Link Cable earlier today, but I have trouble
>creating a link.
>
>It's connected to my 25pin serial cable, which i believe is on com port 2.
>Next, I set the com port on the TI-Graph Link software to com port 2, and it
>checked out fine, cuz when I set it to any of the other com ports, it gives
>me a message like, "Cannot open the communication port."
>
>The same thing happens on the calculator end, saying "ERROR 35", which was
>that the link might not be firmly connected.  So I rechecked the connection,
>and it was perfectly firm.
>
>So... if anyone can give me some info on this ASAP, it would be really kind
>of you, because this thing has just been so very frustrating lately.
>thankx...

The following was directly taken from a previous e-mail to this list
concerning the problem you mention:

Hello all,

  I finally got my graph link to work.  Here is how to solve all the problems:

1)  Get the latest version of the TI-xx software.  Make sure your cable is
plugged in securely wherever it is connected (you may be surprised at how
many people find that their connection to the computer is loose).

2)  Check to see how many serial ports you have (in the back of the computer).

3)  At the DOS prompt type:  MSD.  Goto Serial Ports.  Connect the graph
link to a seemingly non-used port.  An example of this:
PORT        COM1:   COM2:   COM3:   COM4:
BAUD RATE   14400   2400    N/A     N/A
COM1 is a modem...NOT serial port 1 as some people think.  COM2 is serial
port 1 or 2 depending on what your system setup looks like.

4)  Get out of MSD.  Reboot the computer.  Go into system setup.  Find the
Ports section and look at the Serial Ports specifically.  Here is what my
Serial Port options are (yours may be different):
(The following was the way I had my ports set before I corrected the problem)
Port 1:  (set to disabled)
Port 2:  (set to COM2, IRQ 3)
COM3/COM4:  (set to 3EH/2EH)  (make sure these are set exactly like this)

Whichever port is enabled, hook the graph link corresponding to it...in my
case, I hooked it to my second serial port on the back of my computer.

5)  Go into Windows and load the software.  Switch the COM port to the
proper one (in my case, COM port 2).  Attempt to retrieve a file (remember
to receive on the computer BEFORE sending on the calculator and
vise-versa).  If it succeeds, ignore the rest (mine didn't, so I had to
continue on).

6)  Get into control panel under main.  Go into ports.  Check to see if the
ports are matched with the system setup.  If they match, then get out of
windows and get back into system setup.  If, not correct the problem and go
back to step 5.

7)  Change your port that has the graph link hooked up to it (in my case,
its port 2).  Set it to one of the other three COM ports available (I only
had COM3 and COM4 available to me, I chose COM3).  Exit system setup.  Go
back to step 5.

8)  If the problem persists on the port you are using, switch the graph
link to the other serial port (if you have another) and repeat the process
(you could have a faulty serial port).  If that fails, try using the cable
on someone else's computer.  If even that fails, send the graph link cable
back to TI and get another one, there is an extremely high probability that
the cable is faulty...TI will replace it usually for free.

This should be the last time someone asks about a serial port conflict.  If
anyone does, just e-mail them this complete document.  This document is
also useful in other things such as installing a modem conflict free.

(TI's been looking for a single answer solution to this problem for a long
time...well, they've finally got their answer!)

Signed,
Thomas J. Hruska

|----------------------------------------------------|
|             Shining Light Productions              |
|      "Meeting the needs of fellow programmers"     |
|                                                    |
|   C/C++ programs                                   |
|   QBasic programs                                  |
|   JavaScript                                       |
|   TI-Basic                                         |
|   HTML                                             |
| Search for our web site at                         |
| www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Heights/8504/      |
| We use a dynamic web server for most of our        |
| documents!!!                                       |
| Soon to go to a full JavaScript 1.1 web site!      |

Follow-Ups: References: