Re: int(1/x^2,x,-1,1)

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: int(1/x^2,x,-1,1)

Geoff H wrote:
> So here's another test:
> The '85 responses to both fnInt(1/x,x,0,1) and fnInt(1/x,x,-1,1) are
> "ERROR 33 TOL NOT MET" (unless tol is cranked to about 1.9) and
> "ERROR 02 DIV BY ZERO," respectively.
>
> Derive XM responds to INT(1/x,x,0,1) with infinity,
> while INT(1/x,x,-1,1) gives -i*pi, which looks like an
> application of Cauchy's residue theorem?!
>
> What does the '92 do?

On the 92, nInt(1/x,x,-1,1) gives 0 with a warning:  "Questionable
accuracy."  nInt(1/x,x,0,1) gives no answer (it actually returns the
actual problem in symbolic form, again with the "Questionable accuracy"
warning).

                                Notrub

--
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human
mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge."

                        --Thomas Raynesford Lounsbury
                          (1838-1915)
mailto:notrub1@bangornews.infi.net

Follow-Ups: References: