Re: TI-85 and log(-4)

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-85 and log(-4)

Geez, are you tossing out a softball?  I'll swing.

If you're willing to accept Euler's formula: e^(ix)=cos(x)+i*sin(x).
(It require an understanding of analytic continuation - see Taylor
series)
Then by generalizing the definition of the natural logarithm, ix =
ln(cosx+isinx).
So for instance, if x = pi, the i*pi = ln(-1) gives you some
justification of how
the logarithm of a negative will be complex valued.

This stuff gets glossed over alot in most curricula.  There's a course
called
complex analysis you can take after you pass real analysis which comes
sometime
after the calculus sequence.

geoff h