From:   Open discussion of TI Graphing Calculators  On Behalf Of Reinier
Zwitserloot
Sent:   Thursday, July 10, 1997 3:16 PM
To:     CALC-TI@LISTS.PPP.TI.COM
Subject:        Re: Expander clones?

Okay, again............

Even here you could do a backup. Well, you could send one.

You can't recieve one. why?

1) The need for backups really arises when someone clears out your calc.
that just happends to clear out the driver too, doesn't it?

2) If you do have your driver and load in a backup, which, by the way, is
*NOT* possible through the [2nd] link menu unless you put a processor to
adjust the incoming/outgoing signals,will overwrite all memory. no byte is
left spared. So, where does the driver go? It will be overwritten, and the
calc will crash before it finishes.

Might be viable. Make a cable and write two programs for zshell (they can
be really short, for test purposes). Send something, and if you can get
something back at all that shows data can go back and forth, bingo, it's
very viable.

NB: In this case you actually have a proc chip on the other side. I don't
know how much of a 'computer' this organizer is, but if you can program
asm, and if the linkport is a generic and is not separately controlled and
expecting it's own format as signals, you could actually write a program
for the organizer to send the data at the same speed and format as [2nd]
link. Question to ask for that, would be if you can program asm on that
organizer. If it's a palmtop, likely yes.

Hm. That reminds me, I have an hp95lx palmie lieing around. And that can
take asm, and that has a linkport, and a pcmcia slot. and it has 512k, and
I have 1meg pcmcia mem card. It also has a processor to convert signals in
the cable. (that runs all on rom, so no reprogging that), which is very
likely to interfere with business, and I'm not going to cut that cable up.
Going to have to do some serious diy with copper to try and connect the
two.. Unfortunately, that thing is quite 'spensive. Hm.

--
-R.Zwitserloot@BTInternet.com

James D. Yopp <YOPP_J@POPMAIL.FIRN.EDU> wrote in article
<01IL2GWNK18Y000ANO@WIZARD.FIRN.EDU>...