Re: 86 Basic to ASM

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: 86 Basic to ASM

 Jeff Tyrrill wrote in article ...
>It is impossible to convert TI-86 BASIC code into assembly, just because
of
>the very nature of the BASIC language (it is an interpreted language).
>However, there are at least two programs available (or under development)
that
>do this for the TI-85 using their own BASIC, and I wouldn't be surprised
if
>the authors add the ability to compile for the TI-86 because it would
work
>almost exactly the same as the TI-85.

It's not impossible at all!  BASIC is a language.  It can be implemented as
an interpreter or as a compiler.  In fact, for the first ten years of its
life (1965-1975) BASIC was ONLY available as a compiler.  Yes, there are at
least TWO TI-Basic compilers under development.  I'm betting that HAL-86
makes it out first.  HAL-85 will be available in about two weeks and the
beta I'm using seems bug-free already.  It doesn't compile the entire
TI-Basic language but that's just a limitation in HAL, not because of any
inherent inablilty of the TI-Basic language to be assembled..

Tom Lake