32k limitations

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

32k limitations

Yes, Mr. Zwitser. Someone has thought of this. Several dozen people have
thought of this and posted to this list alone. As for the other lists
related to TI calculators, I cannot say, but I would guess that at least
as many have suggested a floppy drive. Far more have suggested a tape
drive. Here's the problem with the device itself:

There isn't a problem. Not technically.

Here's the problem with building or designing such a device:

It will not happen.

Mel Tsai was probably the second person to suggest a TI related
home-brew project which required extensive development and design, then
actually build it. He was able to do this because he ahd a special
facility for electronics, a good idea, and the ability to purchase the
necessary materials. He was able to do it because, to a large extent, he
already knew how. I'm not saying his plan didn't change. The finished
product may bear no resemblance to his original design. But he had a way
when he started, and that gave him the confidence to actually work on it
in a reasonable way. By the time any major changes were needed, he was
already into the flow of the work.

Mr. Zwitser, such people are rare. Moreover, they have their own
specialties, and thus it is even rarer that they are electronics
wizards. Finally, the very, very few such electronics wizards have
individual areas of interest. They are not necessarily interested in TI
calculators (unfortunately, they often are much more interested in HPs
because the HPs were designed for engineers, especially electronics
engineers like those who designed the HPs) and so the only two people
who have truly contributed to the TI world through proper initiation of
hardware design are Mel Tsai and Magnus Hagander. Two is surprisingly
good luck. We even have a software equivalent, in the form of David
Ellsworth.

I am quite sure that you truly feel such projects as you suggest are
feasible, and may well intend to make them yourself. If you can,
congratulations. If, like many before you, you cannot, or will not,
because you lack the ability and/or enjoy writing messages about your
current project status to the list more than developing a working
product, then I must protest. The creation of a functional piece of
software is a huge effort if you have not done it before. To add
hardware doubles the opposition.

Finally, I feel I must mention that certain individuals on this and
other TI mailing have tried to co-ordinate large projects in the past.
Typically, someone posts a message saying "I am working on such and such
a project, and I would be glad to let a few others work on it." After
two weeks, it is revealed that a few people have joined. These
subordinates do some work on the project, while the co-ordinator posts
messages on project status each day. The sub-ordinates grumble that the
co-ordinator isn't doing any actual work. The co-ordinator, bound for an
MBA, reveals that he (the co-ordinator is invariably an adolescent male,
by age or temperament) is not actually technically oriented, and that
his specialty is in the management and charismatic leadership of
development projects. He is instantly proven wrong, in that his
sub-ordinates think this is one of the most <expletive adjective>
<plural expletive noun> they have ever met and they leave immediately.

Mr. Zwitser, are you a person who can actually effect a major change in
the way the TI community looks at calculator storage? Are you a serious
developer who wants to give something back? Or are you an egocentric
adolescent seeking to soothe your angst through pointless bragging about
how something "should be possible, given the time and skill," neither of
which you possess? If it is the former, then I welcome you and look
forward to hearing from you when you can tear yourself away from your
work to write a few lines to those of us waiting eagerly to see your
design. If it is the latter, then I can only dread the interminable
discussions of the days to come, each message signed with that most
contemptible of disclaimers, the universal slogan of false modesty and
fear of reprisal: "Just my $0.02"

Thank you for your consideration.

                In all sincerity,
                Chris Roberts