Re: Inverting Square Root Thingy

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Inverting Square Root Thingy

In article <348cbfed.0@news3.kcdata.com>, "Russell L. Miller"
<russm@geocities.com> writes:
> Does anyone know if there is a function on the 86 that will convert square
> root decimals back to root form like the >Frac function does for fractions.
>
> ie:
> .25>Frac = 1/4
> so
> 1.14121356237=sqrt(2)

Try 1.14121356237^2, where ^2 is the x2 (x squared) key.  This, of course, only
works for square roots, not cube or 4th roots, etc.

For problems like 4.242650687 = 3*sqrt(2), when you use this method, you get
18.  This is because 3*sqrt(2) = sqrt(18), so if you want to factor out any
squares, you should write a program to do that (unless the 86 can do it).  But
the answer is correct, even if it isn't in the preferred form.
--

                                 Will Chamberlain
                            Tennessee Tech University

                           No, I don't play basketball.