Re: Complex Number

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Complex Number

In article <348BACB8.BF34F038@iastate.edu>, Chia Wen Leu
<cwleu@iastate.edu> writes
>Does Anyone has a program that is able to calculate simple arithmethic
>operation (-+/*) in the polar form of the complex number, and will
>return the correct angle in degree ?
>When I was using the TI-85, it was so much easier for me to add or
>subtract the complex number in any form and I will get the correct
>answer in degree mode.
>
>Please help and thank you.

        If Degree and 're^ theta i' modes are set, a complex result will
return the angle component in Degrees - no problem.

        The problem arises when inputting complex numbers in polar form.
In this operation, the TI-83 _always_ treats the angle component as
being in radians, so when working in degrees, include the conversion
factor. 30 degrees, say, is 30*pi/180 radians; so key 20e^(i30 pi/180)
for the number (20/_30 degrees). If you're doing lots of them, or in a
program, store the conversion factor in a memory, say Z, and key
20e^(i30Z).

--

Stuart Dawson            Dawson Engineering
sd@dawson-eng.demon.co.uk
Belfast, Northern Ireland   +44 1232 640669