Re: No TI-86. TI-85 or TI-83?

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: No TI-86. TI-85 or TI-83?

Oh yeah, but you forgot to mention you get $5 out of every 85/86 sold, and
that's why you're trying to sell them :)

At 06:59 PM 8/26/97 UT, Jeff Tyrrill wrote:
>I was simply acknowledging that the higher resolution was one of many
features
>the 85 has over the 83, regardless of what you use your calculator for. I
find
>your statement that I had some "motive" ridiculous. The 85 has many practical
>math features over the 83, such as unit conversions, advanced matrix math,
>multiple number bases, more equation-solving abilities, no limit to number of
>variables, all variables can be named, bit manipulation functions, the
>calculator can hold numbers up to 10^999 (unlike 10^99 on the 83), a custom
>menu (my custom menu is filled with math functions, not ASM programs, BTW),
>equation variables, so you don't have to write a program for every formula
you
>have, etc. And yes, higher resolution. Shall I go on? This is why I prefer
the
>85 to the 83. Yes, the 83 has a table, financial functions, and advanced
>statistics, but unless you need the advanced statistics, the 85 is way better
>in its overall math abilities. You can probably just keep a couple of
formulas
>on the 85 for finance if you need that feature.
>________________
>
>Jeff Tyrrill
>http://tyrrill-ticalc.home.ml.org/
>http://ti-files.home.ml.org/

Domroy
>Sent:   Tuesday, August 26, 1997 7:59 AM
>To:     CALC-TI@LISTS.PPP.TI.COM
>Subject:        Re: No TI-86. TI-85 or TI-83?
>
>I cannot begin to say how much I disagree with major portions of this
>response, primarily because 99% of the motive behind Jeff's choice has
>absolutely nothing to do with the purpose of a calculator.
>
>Resolution: Who cares what the resolution of the screen is?  If you are
>looking at a graph, it looks nearly identical.  Jeff is however correct in
>that there are more characters available on a line (16 on an 83, 21 on an
>86).  So why is resolution so important?  Obviously for playing games, not
>the real reason for getting a calculator, I suspect.
>
>Features: No question about it.  The 85/6 has tons of built-in features
>that the 83 does not have.  For the most part, my students use two of them.
> Root solvers and simultaneous equation solvers.  For the rediculously few
>quadratics one is asked to solve in school, this is hardly an issue.  I
>seem to recall seeing yet another in an endless list of TI-82 quad solvers
>on this list a couple of days ago.  How many simultaneous equations do you
>actually solve in your entire High School years, 20, 25?
>
>On the other hand, the 83 gives you a full set of statisical and financial
>tools not found on the 85/86.  Yes, I know.  The 86 has ton's of memory and
>you can program them in.  I have not download the '86 asm financial
>functions that were mentioned in a previous post from King, but I don't
>think they are nearly as powerful as the built-in ones on the 83.  I may be
>wrong on this one.
>
>The real question in selecting a calc is "for what do you need it."  If you
>are a student who is primarily interested in using the calc for its
>intended purposes, specifically your math and science classes, I believe
>the the 83 is a much better choice.  If, on the other hand, you are
>primarily interested in asm programming and games, clearly the 86 is the
>better choice.
>
>As a teacher I would be interested in how many of the 85/86 functions you
>students actually use in your classes.  If you choose to respond, please do
>so privately to bdomroy@iepsnet.com.  We don't need to clutter up
>everyone's e-mails.
>
>At 06:53 AM 8/26/97 UT, you wrote:
>>Definitely get the TI-85. Although the TI-83 is newer and has a few features
>>the TI-85 doesn't, the TI-85 more than makes up for that with its extra
>power.
>>It does not have built-in assembly support, but this really isn't necessary
>>because assembly shells exist. The higher resolution is just one of the many
>>features the 85 has over the 83. For an exact listing of every feature of
> [...]
---
Evil Jim
Viva La Mexico
<eviljim@writeme.com>
http://members.tripod.com/~eviljim/
I want to die in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming in pain like
the passengers in my car...