Re: Crank Power?

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Crank Power?

On Thu, 21 Aug 1997, Thomas J. Hruska wrote:

> I was watching the 6:30pm news and saw a man who had ingeniously used an
> old fashioned hand crank (like the ones used on phonographs) to power not
> only his radio, but also his laptop computer (120V AC current)!

Ingeniously? I think not. Wouldn't it be a bit hard to type with one hand?
At least, if you don't 'hunt-and-peck'. Imagine cranking to keep your
computer going. Ummm.. What if you had to stop for some reason? The phone
rings, or your little brother falls down the stairs.

Same goes with the calc. I think that most people use one hand to hold
their calculator, one hand to type. If you've got your calc on a desk, you
might have one hand free, but how will you operate the crank?

> My question is, can we implement the same technology into our calculators
> using the same idea?  It has to all fit inside that little compartment
> without cutting any of the battery slots.  I replace my batteries about
> once every 2 months.  Not to mention, the price of 8 good AAA batteries is
> about $5.00.  I know a lot of people who wouldn't mind shelling out 20
> bucks to replace their batteries with a device that could save them more.

Lets see... $5.00 every two months... That's $2.5 a month, that's about 8
cents a day. 8 measly cents. But with 8 batteries, that'll keep you going
for 4 months, so it's 4 cents a day. With the $20 or so you spend on
building this 'crank', you could buy 4 sets of 8 batteries, that's 8
months of battery power.

Anyway, enough math. Adding a crank to power your calc is a plain stupid
idea. Please people, before you post, think about it. It should help the
list out a bunch.

(PS. I'd much rather see Tom's...well...laughable posts, than e e's stupid
flames, thank you.) =)

-Tim
timg@means.net | http://www.cjnetworks.com/~coryb/timg

Follow-Ups: References: