Re: My ROM is version 4.0, do I need to get later version?

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

On Fri, 27 Sep 1996, GreatLlama wrote:

> It wastes power much more than it does without acceleration.  Personally,
> I think it's kind of dumb to pop open your calculator, tinker around with
> it, and have to buy 3X more batteries.

OK, Time to resolve this matter. "Turbo"-ing your calculator does *NOT*
increase battery usage significantly!

The "Turbo-TI" modification simply speeds up the internal R/C circuit that
produces clock pulses for the CPU. The pulses happen faster, the
processor runs faster, but there is VERY LITTLE CHANGE in current draw.
This is basic electronics, folks. A calculator is not analogous to an
athelete, and each clock pulse does not draw a specific amount of power
out of the batteries (power is drawn regardless of what speed the clock is
running at).

Now, I hope this puts this silliness to rest.

The "Turbo-TI" modification DOES void your warranty, however.

-Isaac

<pre>
--
Isaac Salpeter