Re: Viruses and TI-8 series

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Viruses and TI-8 series

Alfred T Chu wrote:

> This Is not a virus...That bum just wanted to scare everybody...I typed
> in the virus and today, my friend accidently ran the program...I thought
> I was doomed...BUT..Fortunately it did nothing but give an error.
> Well, I don't think there are any viruses for Ti's...

> >succeeded
> >data
> >it.
> >FOR

> >        Let's hope now that the "authorities", i.e. Texas Instruments,
> > will verify or correct that this 83 virus is possible and answer
> >definitively the question
> > regarding viruses on the 82!
> >George Egbert
> >Math Department
> >San Marcos High School
> >Santa Barbara, CA
> >gmegbert@sbceo.k12.ca.us

According to Fred Cohen's well-known definition, a COMPUTER VIRUS is a
computer program that
can infect other computer programs by modifying them in such a way as to
include a (possibly
evolved) copy of itself. Note that a program does not have to perform
outright damage (such as
deleting or corrupting files) in order to to be called a "virus". this
same definition holds for TIs.
Even if a virus could exist on a TI (it can't,not even in assembly),
this would not be an example of one. If this does cause a problem, it
would be called... a bug.
If you were to write a program that corrupted memory (easy to do) but
this is not what the user thought it would do, this is a trojan horse.
Trojan Horses are kind of pointless on TIs because it takes a couple of
seconds to restore a backup.

Josh Franta