Re: Having trouble with 92...

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Having trouble with 92...

>   "Xavier Scott" <joe@microsoft.com> writes:
>  When I put in    (-27)^(1/3)     and press enter,  I get the following
>  answer:
>
>    3/2+3*sqrt(3)/2*i.
>
>  What's with that?  I know the answer is supposed to be -3.  Can anyone tell
>  me whay it is doing this?
>

>               Concerned Calculus Student->  Scott Johnson

I don't have a TI-92, and my TI-83 doesn't behave like that, but all negative
numbers actually have three complex cube roots with the same absolute
value and arguments pi/3, 2*pi/3, and pi. In the case of -27, they are:

3/2+3*sqrt(3)/2*i, -3/2+3*sqrt(3)/2*i, and -3

I suggest you try changing the mode setting to Real, or something like that.

                                        Harry