Re: TI92 vs. TI83/2

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI92 vs. TI83/2

Gunter Gebhardi <geg@compling.hu-berlin.de> wrote:

>What are the advantages of the TI-92 with respect to the TI-83/2 in
>_practical_work?
>I read the www-pages of TI and know the basic differences, but even for
>students the TI-92 is very expensive. So an alternative is to use TI-83/2 and
>the PC for 3D-calculation?
>Any opinions and/or suggestions?

As Mike said, the 92 is really too slow for 3D work -- and even its
comparatively (to an 82 or 85) high-res screen is nothing compared to
a nice (or bad, for that matter) computer monitor.  So don't buy a
TI-92 for that.

But do buy a 92 because it has a far more intuitive interface than the
85 especially and even than the 82.  There is *so much* in these
calculators that you will probably not use frequently that it is
extremely helpful to have a great interface so that you can figure it
out easily (aka without a manual).

For example, while the 85's statistics features for making histograms
took me maybe half an hour to figure out, the 92 was intuitive and
required no "preparation" time.

If you plan to do the "same old things" every day, you'll get used to
any interface.  But if you will use some features only infrequently,
having an easy interface is well worth the extra $70.

Yes, I paid about $165 for my 92 from Tech Line at 800-777-3635 for
those who are interested.  I do think that it was worth every penny of
it for me, though others should certainly evaluate it for themselves.

My two cents.  <g>

Ben Edelman
BEdelman@ix.netcom.com