Re: HP48 vs. TI92 - The Answer

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: HP48 vs. TI92 - The Answer

JUSTIN SMITH wrote:

> In article <DwzAup.JMG@ennews.eas.asu.edu>, drice@asu.edu wrote:
>
> > On the other hand, if most of your calculator use is for contrived school
> > assignments, then the TI92 is probably the best choice.  When you get a
> > real job, sell it and get an HP.
> >
> > There, that wasn't so hard, was it?
>
> Yeah it wasn't Dave, if you don't consider school a real job.
>
> -Justin

Another way to think of it, which I owe to an awesome graduate level
math teacher, is that if you put all the functions and math problems in
the world in a barrel, and where to randomly pull functions out of this
barrel, the odds that you would get a solveable problem are next to
nill.

Some of the most advanced math I have done, using Bessel functions or
complicated Laplace transforms, are still contrived (even at the
graduate level) in order to have a closed form solution (i.e. an
answer).

So yes, once you get a real job, and are froced to do some integral that
isn't in any book or table because there is no solution, then you will
know what a "contrived" solution is.

And no, after 17 years of education, it isn't even close to a job.
<pre>
--
Mark Wilson

"You see me now a veteran