Re: Symbolic85

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Symbolic85

  Someone asked what the difference is between der1 and nder. It's been a
long time since I have looked at the ti85 guidebook, but I think it says
something like der1 and nder use 2 different numerical methods; der1's
algorithm is faster while nder works for more kinds of functions.
(Someone should check. I can't because my guidebook's at home.)
  The origional Symbolic85 question asked if it were possible to make
the ti85 display an algebraic representation of a function's derivative.
I do not believe that the ti85 ever symbolically differentiates or
integrates when nder or fint is executed. I suppose that the only way to
be sure is to look at the code from ti85 rom dump, but given that the
calculator shows no evidence of any symbolic manipulation capability
(even the Solver uses an iterative numeric method to "solve" for the
value of the variable you specify), I'd say the ti85 just calculates the
slope of or area under the function using numeric algorithms.

-Jonathan