Re: Newbie

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Newbie

William Jones wrote:

> After stumbling upon ticalc.org, I have become interested in buying a
> TI-85. I've been wanting to learn assembly for quite awhile, and this
> seems like the best way. I have a few questions before I open my
> wallet...

The TI-85 uses a version of the Z80 processor (as you've probably
learned at ticalc.org). While you will learn assembly techniques that
will be useful in assembly for any processor, many of the
opcodes/mnemonics you learn will be different than on another processor.

> If I go to Wal-Mart or K-Mart and buy a TI-85, would I most likely get
> the latest ROM? I want to use ZShell (the WHOLE purpose) and it would be
> stupid trying to explain to the return person that "mine has the
> incorrct ROM but that one right there just might."

I would think so.. Ask if you can open it before you buy. They shouldn't
have a problem with that. To see what ROM you've got, put the batteries
in, turn the calc on, press [2nd] [MODE] [S]. The ROM version number
will be displayed. Press [EXIT] to get back out. If you're satisfied
with the ROM version (10.0 is the newest I know of.. I've got a 9.0 ROM
from two years ago), buy the calc; if not, look at another somewhere
else.

> What stuff do I need to do it? I have a Pentium with W95. I know there
> is some Link cable to connect to the calculator. Is ZShell freeware?
> What about TASM and all the other stuff needed?

To run ZShell, you'll need a way to get a backup of ZShell onto your
calc. Easiest (most convenient) way is to use a Graph Link or cheap
serial cable. Cost difference is $50 or more. ZShell is freeware, as are
(most) programs that run under it. (If anybody knows differently, please
correct me..) Last I checked, TASM was shareware with a $40 registration
fee. It will tell you what the fee is and what you get for it.

> Sadly enough, I have never owned a TI-8x caculator so I also don't know
> TI-BASIC. What is a good toutorial for me? I know QBASIC fairly well.
> (come to http://cswnet.com/~wtjones/index.html and try some programs)

Hmm.. ASM tutoring.. I don't know. You might look for a book at a local
store about Z80 assembler.. Look around the net too.

> Being out of questions, I will probably post more as they come to me.
>
> William Jones

<pre>
--
Greg Hill