Re: TI-85 vs TI-83

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-85 vs TI-83

In article <DzF93u.H8C@news2.new-york.net>, hbe@way.com says...

>>   vitdoc@deltanet.com (Scott Grant) writes:
>>  My son just purchased a TI-83 to use in his advanced algebra class.
Many of
>>  his friends have a TI-85.  He feels that the 85 has more useful
functions and

>>  is faster.  He would like to return his 83 and get an 85.  Is this
reasonable
>?
>>  The 83 is more recent, but it is an update of the 82.  Is the processor
in th
>>  85 faster?  Thanks for any information.
>>
>>                   Scott Grant
>>

>Both calculators use a Zilog Z80 processor running at 6 MHz. Any difference
in
>speed is due to differences in software, not hardware. Both calculators
will run
>assembly language, but on the TI-85, you need to use TI-GRAPH LINK to load
>full memory backup containing Zshell, an independently developed shell
which
>runs assembly language programs stored as strings. On the TI-83, you can
key in
>assembly language programs from the keyboard or load them with TI-GRAPH
>LINK and run them like any other program. TI provides a lot of support
>documentation for assembly language programming on the TI-83, but none for
the
>TI-85.

>                                        Harry

Just checking through all of this, I noticed that it's a good thing that I
bought the 83.  But the ZShell issue has been annoying me, since I can't
seem to find any assembly language programs for the 83.  Can anyone tell me
where I can get some programs, or at least how to write them?  I've been
reduced to writing in the TI-Basic language, which, needless to say, is too
slow.  And yes, I am primarily interested in games.  Thank you

                                        Chris