>>inString(Str1,Str0)\->\N
>>If N=0:Goto 99
>>expr(sub(Str2,N,1))\->\[J]
>>Return
>>Lbl 99
>>Disp "INVALID MATRIX"
>>Stop
>>\stop83\

        Right on target! It works fine - thanks very much. I cut and
pasted the code straight out of your Email into a text file and ran it
via Graph-Link, and it ran first time, no sweat, so evidently the Graph-
Link software recognises the matrix tokens within the quoted string.
        I'll take the liberty of posting your solution (with
attribution) to the newsgroup later in the week, as it's a bit of
information that may be useful to other folks.

Stuart Dawson                          Dawson Engineering
49 Knockbracken Park, Belfast  BT6 0HL,  Northern Ireland
sd@dawson-eng.demon.co.uk                 +44 1232 640669

Turnpike evaluation. For Turnpike information, mailto:info@turnpike.com