Re: Perhaps this is a dumb question...

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Kenneth Fink wrote:

> you're in 11th grade and still don't know trig...ill try to explain

That wasn't a particularly nice comment. There was no need
to launch an attempt at making another person feel stupid.

> sin^-1(x) is the inverse sin of x, not the reciprocal of sin(x) which
> is csc(x).  The sin^-1(x) is saying that sin(x) = y , and taking the
> inverse sin of both sides will give you x.

This is pretty much correct. However, I hope you're not trying to say
that
Arcsin(sin(x))=x, as you seem to be. This is only true in the interval
[-pi/2,pi/2].

Besides, as someone else had pointed out, this notation isn't exactly
intuitive.

> hope that helps.. if not, keep on learning your math.

We should all keeping learning our math, myself included...

- Paul Pollack
TI-Graphing Calculator Magazine Senior Editor
TI-GCM   : http://users.aol.com/timagazine/
home page: http://home1.gte.net/paulp/
paulp@gte.net