There is a bug on the TI-83

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

There is a bug on the TI-83

Some of you may have noticed that many of your TI-82 files will not work
on your TI-83, because of an ERROR:LBL. If so, read this carefuly!

The bug is with the lbl command. On a TI-82, it would not matter where you
placed the lbl command. You did not have to put it on it's own line, it
would work anywhere. This is not so on the TI-83. I'm calling this a bug,
because it was not documented in the "unresolved differences" section of
the TI-83 manual.

The bug is that you cannot "nest" a lbl command on the same line with
other commands. For example, the code:

Goto A
Disp "THIS PART IS SKIPPED":lbl A
Disp "THIS PART IS DISPLAYED"

Will work fine on a TI-82, but will generate ERROR:LBL on a TI-83, as if
the lbl command was not even there. It's the same thing in this situation:

Goto A
Disp "THIS PART IS SKIPPED":lbl A:Disp "THIS PART IS DISPLAYED"

Now that I've said this, I have to say the exception. The code snipets
above will not work on a TI-83, but this next one will:

Goto A
Disp "THIS PART IS SKIPPED":for (i,1,10):end:lbl A
Disp "THIS PART IS DISPLAYED"

It seems that whenever the lbl command follows the end command, it works fine.

There have been cases of this in many programs, including "Mines 1.3" by
Brian Hill. In "Mines 1.3", there is a lbl command that does not follow an
end command which does not work, and there is a lbl command following an
end command that works fine. (This may also be the case in the game
"DuckHunt", although I haven't checked yet).

So, if you write programs for the TI-82, please keep this bug in mind, and
put all of your lbl commands on separate lines. And if anybody else hase
any more observations about this bug, or more games in which this bug
occurs, please post them here!

Regards,
Roger Harford