Re: TI-85 convert problem?

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-85 convert problem?

Jonathan Todd Samuel <jsamuel+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU> Stated:

> I don't think it's a bug-- it has to do with the order of operations on
> the ti-85. The TI-85 apparently does conversion before multiplying. For
> example:
>
> typing
> -300 degreesF -> degreesK
> gives me
> -422.03.. degress K
>
> (which happens to equal -1 times (300 degreesF -> degreesK)
>

> but if I type
> (-300) degreesF -> degreesK
> I get
> 88.70555...
>
> Which is more reasonable.
> Hope this answers your question; I was surprised by this too when I
> first noticed it. When in doubt, use parenthesis :-)

Yeah, (-40) DegF->DegC yields the correct -40, as well.  I was under the
impression that the negation operator (-) had the highest precedence, which
should render the grouping () redundant?  Does the manual mention inputting
negative values to these conversion routines? (mines at home)

billyd@early.com using NetcPlus
  A Mountain Man in Cyber Land