Re: Perhaps this is a dumb question...

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Perhaps this is a dumb question...

On Mon, 7 Oct 1996, Mark A. Roaquin wrote:

> but how come the graph of sin^-1(x) is different from the graph of
> 1/sin(x)? If x=1 and I try to calculate these two functions, they yield
> different values.
>
> Aren't they the same function? They seem equivalent.
>
> Mark R.
> Hunter HS, 11th Grade, NYC
> TI-83

Dear Mark,

 Your first relationship is the inverse-sine of x.  The second is the
inverse of the sine of x.  These are not the same.  Think of the second,
inverse of sine of x as when you take off your sock and shoe, reverse your
sock inside out and put the shoe back on over it.  Think of the first
case, inverse-sine of x, as when you take off your sock and shoe replace
the shoe and then put your sock over your shoe.  Both cases your reversed
your sock but the outcomes are not the same.

  Congratulations on using your calculator as a place to start thinking
from.  Too many of us use calc as a place where thinking ends.

stay connected,
Elwood